Tar and chip is the process of applying a layer of hot tar to the driveway surface, covering with a layer of stones and then pressing, usually with a big roller, the stones into the tar layer.
This process has both advantages and disadvantages when compared to tarmac.
The advantages of Tar and Chip compared to Tarmac:
- Usually cheaper than tarmac, depending on preparation needed
- Resurface an existing tired looking but other wise sound driveway without digging it up
- Many colours available depending on stone chips selected
- Better grip than tarmac great for drives with a slope
Disadvantages of Tar and Chip compared to Tarmac:
- As the stone chips are applied to the surface the rougher surface can make it unsuitable as a children’s play area.
- Needs a reasonably sound under surface.